Summer Booklist


// SUMMER BOOKLIST //

(>>> arrows are for books I enjoyed the most)

~ JULY ~

People We Meet on Vacation, Emily Henry
fiction (rom-com) / audio
Nothing amazing, though amusing enough. Dan Levy was the perfect fit for this male character.

Number the Stars
Lois Lowry
youth historical fiction (read with Edie), harkening back to when I first read this as a kid (remember winning your copy from the library draw, Des?) It's well done.

This is the Story of a Happy Marriage
Ann Patchett, essays / audio by Ann
Enjoyed most of these on various topics. Like her direct style (of writing & reading)

>>> HEARTBURN, Nora Ephron
fiction (auto-biographical) / audio
I enjoyed this so much more than I was expecting. Based on the premise & the cover I definitely wasn't convinced but gave it a go & I found it quite intriguing/amusing. I got a kick out of the main character & the bizarreness of New York life. Meryl Streep does a great job of the audio & it also wins the biggest laugh from a book for me this year. "Marry me, Rachel!" So good.


“It was a perfect week. We swam in the river & barbecued ribs & made Bellinis with crushed peaches & cheap champagne. We lay out on the lawn, the sunlight dappling through. Is it hot enough for you, we said. We methodically rubbed sunblock onto the arms of our children & poured another pitcher full into our glasses. So we were grownups. So what?”
(Heartburn, Nora Ephron)

You Could Make This Place Beautiful, Maggie Smith
I was disappointed in this memoir as I had heard really good things - but it felt pretty repetitive to me. About her divorce & what came next. I liked the layout of vignette style chapters.

Yes, Please, Amy Poehler
memoir / comedy
I really enjoyed her thoughts on life in general, but there was a lot of detail about her past & work life I didn't necessarily care about as well as a lot of name dropping. Some funny moments for sure. Now I want to re-watch the Parks & Rec show.


(my cousin Joyelle's bookshelf)

~ AUGUST ~

The Power of Fun, Catherine Price
non-fiction / audio by author
This was very informative on the importance of adding fun to your life, though thus far I just listened to the first half (the second half is more hands on).

Married Sex, Gary Thomas & Debra Fileta
non-fiction / audio
A helpful marital sex book from a Christian & counsellor's perspective (two perspectives from the combined authors who also narrate).

Tom Lake, Ann Patchett
fiction / audio
I was so excited for this book I pre-ordered it. It was good, though I wasn't as convinced by the present day narrative as the past. The past story part was really good & Meryl Streep is lovely on audio once again. A good summer read.

“All that sunshine? A person can only take so much.” 
(of Arizona, Tom Lake)


(my used book finds pile from BC)

The Lincoln Highway, Amor Towles
fiction
Proud of myself for reading all of Towles' books this year! This one, tho good, was my least favourite & my longer choice of the summer. All of his books have a very strong vibe & it took me a while to get into this one with the different characters. That said I do really enjoy his writing style & find him to be very erudite in general no matter the topic. The one character I had in mind was Michael Cera for Woolly. Think it would make a great film.

>>> FANTASTIC MR FOX, Roald Dahl
kid fiction / audio
This goes on the list for best kids audio book of the year. I've listened with James (who has listened several times) & Chris O'Dowd does such a great job of the narration.

These Precious Days, Ann Patchett
essays / audio
More essays from Ann. Liked this one. Don't like the cover - a painting of her dog - though it was done by a treasured friend so I guess that makes it better. Ann sure loves her dog. This one was a little more emotional overall ~ was partly about gaining & losing a friend.

“As beautiful as her living room is, with its blue walls & white curtains, & light coming in from three sides, the chance to feel the sun on her face would be worth everything now. On this day we know that triumph is making it to the beach. That’s the closest thing to a miracle we can drum up at this point.” (These Precious Days) 

>>> I'LL SHOW MYSELF OUT, Jessi Klein
memoir / audio
On mid-life & early motherhood, I really enjoyed this one. She's a pretty comedic writer & sheds a lot of humour on various mothering situations. I appreciate her candour. She needs to write a follow-up so we can see what happens next on her mothering journey (aka the Hero's Quest). Thanks Joel for finding this one!


>>> THE SUMMER BOOK, Tove Janssen
fiction / autobiographical
This was a random pick from an Anne Bogel list & it gets the best book of the summer award! I had zero expectations & was completely charmed.  “The essence of summer distilled into crystalline vignettes,” this was published in 1972 about a grand-daughter & grandmother who spend the summer in a cottage together on an island in Finland. Really liked her writing & the shorter style chapters.

“It was just the same long summer, always, & everything lived & grew at its own pace.”

“In the woods we’re a few enormous white roses that blossomed & lived for one day in breathless splendour.”

“Dear God, let something happen, Sophie prayed. God, if you love me. I’m bored to death. Amen.”


(A peek of my sister's bookshelf).

“Grandmother was all by herself in the peace & the quiet. She lit a cigarette & watched the barely visible swell.” (The Summer Book)

//

Cheers to a fresh month & reading season!
I've been enjoying finding seasonal reads & am loving the current subtle transition from summer to fall. I picked The Dutch House (more Ann Patchett!) for our September Book Club Read.

more potential fall reads...

The Marriage Portrait
Demon Copperhead
The Personal Librarian
The Postcard
Home Cooking

Comments

Popular Posts